First of May Award 2014
Bindlestiff Family Cirkus opens submissions for First of May Award – $500 development grant for full-length variety arts production
For 20 years, Bindlestiff Family Variety Arts, Inc. has been enriching New York City’s variety arts culture by producing and presenting unparalleled circus, sideshow and variety arts performances.
Bindlestiff is pleased to announce the third annual First of May Award, which will grant $500 to a variety artist or group of variety artists to support their development of an original full-length production. Previous recipients include Unmasked, created and directed by Lady Aye and Mistress B and Solomon the Perplexer, created and written by Tanya Solomon and directed by Corn Mo.
Submissions are now open to solo artists or troupes wishing to apply for this year’s award.
1. Proposals must include:
• a 1-page project description
• links to videos of past work (up to 3)
• resumé and/or bios of participating artists
2. Proposed productions must be at least 40 minutes in length.
3. Productions may be either solo or troupe-based projects. If submitting as a solo artist, applicant must be a NYC resident. If submitting as a troupe, at least 50% of troupe members must be NYC residents.
By submitting a proposal, applicants acknowledge that if the award is granted, 1) development of the proposed production must begin prior to June 30, 2014, and 2) at least one public performance of the production must be presented in New York City before December 31, 2014 (a work in progress performance is acceptable).
Deadline: Submissions must be received before midnight on April 1, 2014.
Proposals should be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Submissions will be evaluated based on artistic merit, unique perspective, and variety arts relevance.
The selected grantee will be announced on May 1, 2014.