Bindlestiff Co-founder on the Tonight Show
In the final months before Jay Leno retired, the Tonight Show invited Bindlestiff Family Cirkus co-founder Keith Nelson onto the show. Keith swallowed a coat hanger and Jay pulled it out.
Now that the Tonight show is back in NYC, we hope to see more Bindlestiff’s making their way onto this historic televised stage.
Keith Nelson swallows a coat hanger on the Tonight Show, Oct 2013.
Celebrating 20 years of Cirkus Cabaret in NYC
Bindlestiff Family Cirkus celebrated it’s 20th annual NYC Cirkus Cabaret Season. From March 13-16, 2014, Bindlestiff transformed the Brooklyn Lyceum into a one ring circus.
Philomena Bindlestiff opens the show.
Photo © Maike Schulz
The Band play on
NYC’s Unicycle Festival coming August 31-September 2, 2012
The third annual NYC Unicycle Festival will be rolling across New York City August 31-September 2. Bindlestiff Family Variety Arts, Inc. is producing this three-day event featuring a one-wheel tour across Brooklyn, and a two day gathering on Governors Island. The festival will feature unicycle races and games, trials demonstrations, public shows, a long-distance ride, and the largest group of one-wheeled enthusiasts ever to gather in the five boroughs! For more info visit the NYC Unicycle Festival website.
The Bindlestiffs-Season 1 on DVD.
Wanted: 100 iTunes REVIEWERS – $100 prize for best review
We need 100 people to review our DOCUMENTARY: “The Bindlestiffs” on iTunes (produced by MJ Loheed, New Standard Pictures). Please donate A FEW WORDS and a few minutes of your time! If you already watched it as a web series, you can still write a review on iTunes without buying or renting. If you haven’t seen it, Rent it for $2.99. Your personal review is a great help, it will allow us access on Netflix and cable as well as push the title up into the New & Noteworthy section of the iTunes store. Every person who writes a review will receive a BINDLESTIFFS STICKER (email us your address).Also, when we reach our 100 review mark, a Cirkus committee will pick their favorite review on iTunes, and that reviewer will receive a $100 cash prize. Write your review today! SAMPLE REVIEW: Here’s what one reviewer wrote: “Addicting! I can’t wait to see more! This brings you along on a tour and behind the scenes of a circus. It’s really exciting and different. You get to see what a circus entails from nothing to something. It’s a really good, fun documentary. Edited really nice too.”
Noteworthy Cirkus happenings
Keith Nelson, Bindlestiff co-founder, is directing the Cascade of Stars show at the 2012 International Juggling Convention in Bowling Green, OH. Find out more here.
Family Update: Bindlestiffs Appearing With Other Productions
It may not be the entire Bindlestiff Family Cirkus show, but this year there are many Bindlestiff Family members performing across the nation and world with other productions, from German varieté theaters to cruise ships, to Cirque du Soleil. Here are just a few:
- Jonas Woolverton is performing in Cirque du Soleil’s Zoomanity in Las Vegas
- Joel Baker is performing in Cirque du Soleil’s Love
- Michelle Matlock is performing in cirque de Soleil’s Love
- Magic Brian is featured in street performing festivals across the world
- Hilary Chaplain and Angelo Iodice have been working the German varieté stages.
- Keith Nelson Stephanie Monseu recently took a bit of Bindlestiff to Guyana and Thailand.
- Michael Richter is performing with Nik Wallenda in Atlantic City
- Book Kennison is bending and juggling on the seven seas.
Bindlestiff Making Every Day Cirkus Day!
Bindlestiff has been taking part in a number of Cirkus-centric celebrations
- Bindlestiff returned to the Spiegeltent at Bard College for the Summerscape festival. It was Bindlestiff’s seventh consecutive year
- Keith Nelson celebrated Sword Swallower’s Appreciation Day by taking part in “The Big Swallow” at Ripley’s Believe It or Not (Times Square, NYC)
- Bindlestiff Family Cirkus Cabaret opened their 17th NYC season at Dixon Place in January 2012.
- A number of Bindlestiff unicyclist are taking part in the Unicycle NYC Bridge Tour
Bindlestiff Family Cirkus In Print
The Bindlestiffs are on proud display in a number of prestigious publications:
- Bindlestiff Family Cirkus in Last Bohemia
Robert Anasi’s The Last Bohemia: Scenes from the Life of Williamsburg, Brooklyncelebrates the neighborhood from which Bindlestiff Family Cirkus grew. Published by Farrar, Straus and Giroux.
- Bindlestiff Family Cirkus Featured in Sideshow Encyclopedia
Marc Hartzman’s American Sideshow: An Encyclopedia of History’s Most Wondrous and Curiously Strange Performers includes the Bindlestiff Family Cirkus. Published by Tarcher/Penguin.
- Bindlestiff Family Cirkus Featured in History of Vaudeville
Trav S.D., Bindlestiff Family Cirkus Advisory Board Member, features Bindlestiff in his hysterical and histrionic history of Vaudeville, No Applause, Just Throw Money: The Book That Made Vaudeville Famous. Published by Faber and Faber.
- Bindlestiff Family Cirkus Featured in Vaudeville Encyclopedia
Frank Cullen (with Florence Hackman and Donald McNeilly) has created one of the most extensive histories of Vaudeville in Vaudeville, Old and New: An Encyclopedia of Variety Performers. In this two volume set, the Bindlestiffs are well represented as a performing troupe, and a few of its artists also are featured on their own. Published by Routledge.
- Bindlestiff Family Cirkus Featured in Book About Underground Circuses
J. Dee Hill and Phil Hollenbeck’s Freaks and Fire: The Underground Reinvention of Circus devotes a chapter to the Bindlestiff Family Cirkus. Also featured are Jim Rose Circus Sideshow, Cloudseeding Circus, Zamora the Torture King, the Yard Dogs, Enigma, the Brothers Grim Sideshow, and many more. Published by Soft Skull Press.
Bindlestiff’s Social Network