Keith Nelson, Bindlestiff co-founder, is directing the Cascade of Stars show at the 2012 International Juggling Convention in Bowling Green, OH. Find out more here.
It may not be the entire Bindlestiff Family Cirkus show, but this year there are many Bindlestiff Family members performing across the nation and world with other productions, from German varieté theaters to cruise ships, to Cirque du Soleil. Here are just a few:
- Jonas Woolverton is performing in Cirque du Soleil’s Zoomanity in Las Vegas
- Joel Baker is performing in Cirque du Soleil’s Love
- Michelle Matlock is performing in cirque de Soleil’s Love
- Magic Brian is featured in street performing festivals across the world
- Hilary Chaplain and Angelo Iodice have been working the German varieté stages.
- Keith Nelson Stephanie Monseu recently took a bit of Bindlestiff to Guyana and Thailand.
- Michael Richter is performing with Nik Wallenda in Atlantic City
- Book Kennison is bending and juggling on the seven seas.
Bindlestiff has been taking part in a number of Cirkus-centric celebrations
- Bindlestiff returned to the Spiegeltent at Bard College for the Summerscape festival. It was Bindlestiff’s seventh consecutive year
- Keith Nelson celebrated Sword Swallower’s Appreciation Day by taking part in “The Big Swallow” at Ripley’s Believe It or Not (Times Square, NYC)
- Bindlestiff Family Cirkus Cabaret opened their 17th NYC season at Dixon Place in January 2012.
- A number of Bindlestiff unicyclist are taking part in the Unicycle NYC Bridge Tour
The Bindlestiffs are on proud display in a number of prestigious publications:
- Bindlestiff Family Cirkus in Last Bohemia
Robert Anasi’s The Last Bohemia: Scenes from the Life of Williamsburg, Brooklyncelebrates the neighborhood from which Bindlestiff Family Cirkus grew. Published by Farrar, Straus and Giroux.
- Bindlestiff Family Cirkus Featured in Sideshow Encyclopedia
Marc Hartzman’s American Sideshow: An Encyclopedia of History’s Most Wondrous and Curiously Strange Performers includes the Bindlestiff Family Cirkus. Published by Tarcher/Penguin.
- Bindlestiff Family Cirkus Featured in History of Vaudeville
Trav S.D., Bindlestiff Family Cirkus Advisory Board Member, features Bindlestiff in his hysterical and histrionic history of Vaudeville, No Applause, Just Throw Money: The Book That Made Vaudeville Famous. Published by Faber and Faber.
- Bindlestiff Family Cirkus Featured in Vaudeville Encyclopedia
Frank Cullen (with Florence Hackman and Donald McNeilly) has created one of the most extensive histories of Vaudeville in Vaudeville, Old and New: An Encyclopedia of Variety Performers. In this two volume set, the Bindlestiffs are well represented as a performing troupe, and a few of its artists also are featured on their own. Published by Routledge.
- Bindlestiff Family Cirkus Featured in Book About Underground Circuses
J. Dee Hill and Phil Hollenbeck’s Freaks and Fire: The Underground Reinvention of Circus devotes a chapter to the Bindlestiff Family Cirkus. Also featured are Jim Rose Circus Sideshow, Cloudseeding Circus, Zamora the Torture King, the Yard Dogs, Enigma, the Brothers Grim Sideshow, and many more. Published by Soft Skull Press.
- Bindlestiff Family Cirkus rocks Virgin Festival in Maryland
- Bindlestiff Family Cirkus are featured local luminaries in the August 2009 issue ofChronogram, and mentioned in the article ““
- Kinko the Clown on dating on Nerve.com
- Kinko the Clown/Keith Nelson interview on AOL.com
- World Swallowers Day 2010 video featuring Keith Nelson
We are seeking venues to host programs in 2013 and beyond. Bindlestiff develops performances, educational programs, as well as long-term residencies. We are looking for venues that are Cirkus friendly: the larger the stage, the grander the show. For booking details email Stephanie.
Increases in gas prices, insurance costs, legal fees, and the declining economy are only the beginning of the financial perils facing Bindlestiff. You can help. Every donation is greatly appreciated, whether it is five dollars or five thousand dollars. With your help, Circus, Sideshow, Vaudeville and Burlesque continue to thrive. Click here to donate.