Bindlestiff Making Every Day Cirkus Day!
Bindlestiff has been taking part in a number of Cirkus-centric celebrations
- Bindlestiff returned to the Spiegeltent at Bard College for the Summerscape festival. It was Bindlestiff’s seventh consecutive year
- Keith Nelson celebrated Sword Swallower’s Appreciation Day by taking part in “The Big Swallow” at Ripley’s Believe It or Not (Times Square, NYC)
- Bindlestiff Family Cirkus Cabaret opened their 17th NYC season at Dixon Place in January 2012.
- A number of Bindlestiff unicyclist are taking part in the Unicycle NYC Bridge Tour
Bindlestiff Family Cirkus In Print
The Bindlestiffs are on proud display in a number of prestigious publications:
- Bindlestiff Family Cirkus in Last Bohemia
Robert Anasi’s The Last Bohemia: Scenes from the Life of Williamsburg, Brooklyncelebrates the neighborhood from which Bindlestiff Family Cirkus grew. Published by Farrar, Straus and Giroux.
- Bindlestiff Family Cirkus Featured in Sideshow Encyclopedia
Marc Hartzman’s American Sideshow: An Encyclopedia of History’s Most Wondrous and Curiously Strange Performers includes the Bindlestiff Family Cirkus. Published by Tarcher/Penguin.
- Bindlestiff Family Cirkus Featured in History of Vaudeville
Trav S.D., Bindlestiff Family Cirkus Advisory Board Member, features Bindlestiff in his hysterical and histrionic history of Vaudeville, No Applause, Just Throw Money: The Book That Made Vaudeville Famous. Published by Faber and Faber.
- Bindlestiff Family Cirkus Featured in Vaudeville Encyclopedia
Frank Cullen (with Florence Hackman and Donald McNeilly) has created one of the most extensive histories of Vaudeville in Vaudeville, Old and New: An Encyclopedia of Variety Performers. In this two volume set, the Bindlestiffs are well represented as a performing troupe, and a few of its artists also are featured on their own. Published by Routledge.
- Bindlestiff Family Cirkus Featured in Book About Underground Circuses
J. Dee Hill and Phil Hollenbeck’s Freaks and Fire: The Underground Reinvention of Circus devotes a chapter to the Bindlestiff Family Cirkus. Also featured are Jim Rose Circus Sideshow, Cloudseeding Circus, Zamora the Torture King, the Yard Dogs, Enigma, the Brothers Grim Sideshow, and many more. Published by Soft Skull Press.
Bindlestiff’s Social Network
Bring the Cirkus to Your Town!
We are seeking venues to host programs in 2013 and beyond. Bindlestiff develops performances, educational programs, as well as long-term residencies. We are looking for venues that are Cirkus friendly: the larger the stage, the grander the show. For booking details email Stephanie.
Increases in gas prices, insurance costs, legal fees, and the declining economy are only the beginning of the financial perils facing Bindlestiff. You can help. Every donation is greatly appreciated, whether it is five dollars or five thousand dollars. With your help, Circus, Sideshow, Vaudeville and Burlesque continue to thrive. Click here to donate.